Monday, June 6, 2016

I found color of kindness

I was thinking for a while what the color of kindness might be... I received many suggestions from you, thank you kindly. Then I had a moment of enlightenment - who was the kindest person I have ever known? My paternal Grandmother of course!  She was beautiful, kind and loving, my thoughts started drifting towards memories...

I took forty skeins of floss and tossed them to the pot. Then I added some tea bags, some herbs, a few drops of food coloring and some vanilla. I boiled the mixture for a few minutes


and voilĂ ! I fund the color of kindness:



I loved the look of wet floss, after I dried it it became much lighter but it looks beautiful in my project.

I frogged all black floss and started all over again. This is my progress so far, a loong way to go...


I decided to make a few changes since my project I'm dedicating to my Grandma.


There are two letters: D and O, I will replace those with Grandma's initials M and Z (for Michalina Zamana). I will also change the dates. Under M will be her year of birth (1891) and under Z 1990 (year of her passing). On the bottom in the middle I will stitch my name and the year of finishing this project.

The second week of Kindness Challenge was about observing kindness. To tell you the truth I was impressed discovering how much kindness is all around us. I'm not watching much TV lately and since I'm not bombarded by all the horrible things happening around the world I'm noticing more smiles, kind words and little acts of kindness, like letting someone in into the traffic or stopping for a jaywalker, or holding the door for someone. Life is good around me.

So long my friends,
Evalina

10 comments:

  1. Wow they turned out great! Do they smell like vanilla? I love this post :) Your grandma had a fun name :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Heather. Unfortunately the floss doesn't smell like vanilla at all... My grandma was Polish of course and here is the meaning of her name:
      "Michalina
      Gender: Female
      Meaning: Who is like god.
      Usage: Michalina, of Hebrew origin, is not a popular first name. It is more often used as a girl (female) name.
      People having the name Michalina are in general originating from Lithuania, Poland."

      Delete
  2. What a gorgeous colour! That stitchery is going to be beautiful. Did your grandma stitch?

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful shade of floss....a lovely tribute to grandma

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your color of kindness is beautiful and I love your choice of design. It looks like you have combined your color with black to stitch the lines in the border, great idea. I look forward to more progress on this one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the color of your kindness floss Evalina. Beautiful color.

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  6. Perfection....warm, gentle kindness....very unique shade...

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a clever idea to find a good colour for this project. I do like the sound of the Kindness Challenge too.
    I am glad that you are seeing small acts of kindness in everyday life. There is more out there than the media would have us believe!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Evalina! This is going to be absolutely beautiful. I love the dyed threads. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a brilliant and creative solution to your "color of kindness" - I love it! And it's gorgeous as well. How lovely you're dedicating this project to your grandmother. I look forward to seeing your on-going progress.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving your comments. They mean a world to me, keep me inspired and motivated.